Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Training in Jasper



Well, you knew at some point there would be an update on what I'm doing, switching agencies and all. It has been an adventure thus far, and some fairly intensive training which looks like it'll continue to ramp up as we head towards Chilliwack and the RCMP recruit camp.

I started this new path by questioning the CEO of Parks Canada, via conference call in our orientation training, day one. I asked him about the possibility of privatization of Parks Canada services. Everyone in the room (~80 people) was a little shocked about the question that wasn't a straight-forward, "feel-good" one. It was afterwards when Al (we're on first-name basis now!) thanked me for the difficult question and moved on to the next one that I realized that I had been grilling the Deputy Minister of Environment in Ottawa. Nothing like trying to keep a low profile...

Next up was a week-long session of Ecosystem management which culminated in a 30 minute presentation for a panel made up of the Director General of Parks Canada, the Superintendent of Jasper NP, the mayor of Jasper, and a list of high dignitaries that grilled our presentation on woodland caribou vs Marmot Basin expansion. Stressful, but handled with a professional demeanor.

Today, the real goods started. We began our lessons on take-downs, handcuffing, and dealing with resistant "clients". Delightful. Coming up soon....full-on boxing, the RCMP driving course, and 7 hours of grappling on the floor with someone who is trying to rip your eyes out.

What the hell am I doing? I thought I was a pacifist!

Oh, need I forget mentioning the aerobics class 3 times a week and yoga at 6am.

This is an experience! Hope all is well amongst you folks and that you're missing me as much as I'm missing you guys! Take care and I'll keep you posted.

Chris

No comments: